Here are 10 key steps on how to live a meaningful life according to scientific research.
- Know and accept yourself — Be true to who you are (i.e., authentic).
- Know what really matters — Be engaged in creative work and what endows your life with meaning and significance.
- Affirm the meaning of life — Believe that life has intrinsic meaning and value.
- Value connection — Be engaged with people who matter to you.
- Serve something greater than you — Practice altruism & self-transcendence.
- Develop a sense of meaning and purpose — Pursue a life goal as a calling.
- Develop a sense of coherence — Create a narrative that makes sense of life.
- Cultivate an appreciate attitude — Savour the present & express gratitude for life.
- Take a heroic stance — Face adversity with defiance and human dignity.
- Keep the faith — Believe in future meaning and stay optimistic against all odds.
To learn more about how to live and work with meaning, participate in our forthcoming International Meaning Conference.